Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

Robin :
VB (and BBC Basic) have procedual and loop statements, that if used
properly negate the need to scatter GOTO statements around the
source. I can write a program in VB that would be structured
identically in C (or whatever) just replacing little bits. No
references to line numbers required.

Does the use of GOTO matter much - or at all - with modern compilers?

I ask as I thought that modern compilers broke stuff down into control
structures so they didn't care if you used goto or cleverer stuff.

It's not the compiler that's the problem, it's the maintenance
programmer who has to pick up the program and understand what it does,
and how.

But
pl bear in mind that for me "modern" is anything after the mid-70s ;(

I think in recent decades programmers have changed, such that they're
now much less likely to reach for the GOTO statement even if it is
available.

--
Mike Barnes