Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:54:44 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/15/2012 2:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:00:28 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
Simply put, if this is too much money for you to spend and or you are a
hobbyist you really should not be looking at Festool.
If you were earning a living with your tools it is a no brainer.

What I'm trying to figure out is why you're not using your dust
collector. Ditto a $100 portable model for onsite use. The sound
level is about the same: quiet.

My DC does not filter as well as the twin HEPA filters in my Festool
Vac. I use the Festool for the Track saw, both Festool sanders, and the
Domino, oh and the Kreg pocket hole jig. The sanders produce very fine
dust which I do not see.

You could have bought HEPA cannister filters for the DC. They cost
1/4-1/2 what a CT costs. I have the felt bags good for 1u, slightly
out of the HEPA range of 0.3u.

The Festool is much "quieter" than any $100 unit and my DC for that

Almost all DCs I've heard are significantly quieter than any shop vac
other than the Festools. My Griz 1029 wouldn't wake up a napper in
the next room, or possibly in the same room.

matter. When used with any of my power tools I cannot hear the Festool
vac running.

Nor can I hear my DC when any other tools are running. shrug

The Festool is my power supply for my power tools and on a
job site it is some times difficult to locate an extra socket for the
vac or tool. UH Swingman? LOL

There's a good point. Very handy built-in. But switches are
available separately for both 120 and 240v systems.
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/iVac-Switch-Box/T21636

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.