Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Mormon in the White house?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 17:35:42 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

" writes:

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:04:56 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Apr 14, 5:02*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Old guy holding his arms up, and the red sea parts? Then, closes back up and
drowns the enemy army?

With power like that, who needs a tactical mag shotgun?

Christopher A. Young

Or stopping the sun at which instant everyone and everything departed
eastard at sumenthing like 18,000 mph.

Um, the equator is something like 24,000 miles long. There are 24hrs in a
day, so your estimate is a "little" high. Still going to leave rubber,
though.

My first thought. Of course if you are not at the equator you're not
going the full 1000 MPH. But the OP said "stopping the Sun".

Ok, but that's not going to do much at all. It's the Earth that causes night
and day. ;-)

Someone's got a bad case of geocentrism or is just not scientifically knowledgeable.

It's from the Bible (or a 'B' movie, take your choice). What do you want?

Working out what would happen on the Earth if the Sun stopped orbiting
the galaxy at 220 KM/S (1/2 million MPH) would be complicated.
Main thing is we would leave solar orbit and it would either get really hot or
really cold. And eastward makes no sense at all.

No, it's a lot simpler than that. Define the sun as zero velocity and
calculate from there. ;-)