Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT 15 April Titanic.

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 14:24:18 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote:

I always found it strange that there wasn't enough wood or other
light-weight materials onboard that could have been scavanged to
make ad-hoc rafts or other floatation aids.

You do know the water is rather chilly in the N. Atlantic in
April?

Again, how many times do I have to point out that the idea of making a
raft is to stay above the water???!?!?!

Rafts *don't* stay above the water. Wood will only "float" about 10% of its
weight. If you can't displace water you're not going to stay dry. ...but I
wouldn't expect you to understand any of this, even after many have tried to
explain it to you.

Indeed... plus it was quite a long way down from deck level to the
water;

If the boat is on an even keel.

I don't know if you noticed or paid attention in history class, but the
boat began sinking bow-first. It made a rather shallow and easy entry
point into the water from the deck about an hour after it hit the
iceberg.

Those in the life boats didn't think it was very "easy".

It's truly amazing that you always have all the answers but none who were
actually there did. what a bozo