Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/14/2012 8:45 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:13:23 -0400, wrote:
Find a new source of cheaper material to build with and you might create
a new level of interest.

I can't agree with that. There's always been cheaper material (and
tools) around to build with. That's been part of the problem. People
have been getting too used to junk.

Yeah, thats the problem alright.

That in part is why brands like Festool have been taking off. First
you have to get past the sticker shock of the brand. Once that happens
and you start to experience some of the benefits, then you start to
realize that quality built products can offer up a better experience.

I've never met a single person that overtly thought inferior products
offered up a better experience than a quality product. I have met a ton
of people that think a Toyota Pick up is good enough, and they don't
need to spend the bucks on a Lincoln Pickup. Same goes with vacuum
cleaners and Festool.

And, a much better experience in some cases.

....and not so much in others. I'm perfectly happy with my 35 year old
shop vac, and am willing to wear ear muffs rather than spend a $100 or
so on a new one that is a bit quieter, and certainly won't spend $645 on
a Festool that does pretty much the same thing, regardless of how pretty
and quiet it might be...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com