Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Lightbulbs

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
The efficiency savings for mobile use aren't worth bothering about
except for applications like battery powered cycle lights or torches,
as the power used by the lighting on a car is a small percentage of
the total power used to move it. At 30mph on a flat road, the
absolute maximum total lighting load on most cars, including
headlamps and foglamps, is less than 400 watts, as against ten
kilowatts or more being used to overcome rolling and air resistance.

If that 400W could be reduced to 100W there would be worthwhile fuel
savings.

It would, but that 400w includes headlights. And very few cars have LED
ones. HID are more common - and vastly more efficient than tungsten. My 35
watt units produce much more light than 55w halogen. I'm not sure how LED
compares to that.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.