RichardS

Default Transport advice needed

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"Ben C" wrote:

Hello Ben

BC| I've just gone through a major house refurbishment using
BC| rental cars to ferry building materials around, and I can't
BC| face doing it again! I've decided I need to buy a very
BC| practical car/van so that I can cart about bags of cement,
BC| timber, etc. I have no idea what vans/cars would be good
BC| for this though. I'd like something practical with loads of
BC| storage space and easy to load/unload, but still respectable
BC| enough for taking to my mum's for Sunday lunch!

Ex GPO 3.5 tonner hi-top LDV vans are sold at auction after they reach
100-110k for 2.5k to be flogged on at 3-3.5k later on. Good for at
least another 100k. Mine's a roller door and is great. Uses the
Transit 2.5litre non-turbo diesel engine and gearbox, does 25-30mpg,
cruises at 70+. Mine has a teddy bear tied to its grille.

Takes a 1 tonne dumpy bag if the forklift driver's not a complete
muppet, 12' gates/planks, phenominal amount of space. Dead easy to
drive, but can be a problem to park.

Only downsides to van ownership: Friends pestering you to shift stuff,
and breakins from scrotes wondering what interesting things you're
hiding if you leave it parked in rough areas.

And dont' forget the other downside - you'll be assumed to be a commercial
operation at the local tip....

--
Richard Sampson

email me at