Posted to uk.d-i-y
Moonraker[_2_] Moonraker[_2_] is offline

Default LED Lightbulbs

On 13/04/2012 20:15, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In articleRpidnTRYB6M28xXSnZ2dnUVZ8tadnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Michael CharemUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk writes:
I see I can now buy a 60W equivalent LED light bulb Philips myAmbiance
872790091840300 at a price which will take the best part of £40.00!

Are they any good?

I would start with a very large dose of scepticism, based on past
experience of Philips (and others) claims for performance of new
lamp technologies.

I wouldn't spend £40 to find out, but if someone gave me one,
I'd certainly kick the tyres. The datasheet shows how much better
it is than a 60W filament lamp, but it's got to be very significantly
better than a £2 15W CFL before it's viable in my eyes, and it
isn't. When it costs a quarter of the current price, I would buy
one to try.

Being dimmable is interesting, but most light dimmers won't work
with such a low load, so that's probably not useful unless you have
lots of them.

I have also seen LED car stop& tail bulbs. Should I get one the next
time a bulb fails?

Only if the car manufacturer states they still meet the regs, which
they almost certainly will not unless they're original equipment.

I read recently that LEDs in cars are not as efficient as touted, it
seems they need cooling to work efficiently, so that may apply to the
home as well.