Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Someone explain Cooker Hoods and Steam Extraction?

(dug out of poor design rant thread)

On 14/04/2012 00:58, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Friday, April 13, 2012 9:04:24 PM UTC+1, Adrian C wrote:
On 13/04/2012 19:27, Tim Streater wrote:

Quite. We're currently shopping for a chimmney style cooker hood. I
found one at John Lewis and downloaded the manual primarily for
checking dimensions. However, the words "not designed for extracting
steam" have now confused the selection process.

By "chimney style" do you mean it's a faux chimney? The only type of
cooker hood that's worth a damn is one that extracts to the

*outside* of
the house.

Nope, it's a real chimney, a witches top hat above the hob. And a flat
roof overhead to vent through, so can't see how it would not extract
steam....

http://www.theappliancedepot.co.uk/j...1-s-steel-60cm

But Manual Says No...

A quick web search reveals that many extractor instructions contain

the phrase "will not extract steam". There appears to be a couple of
variants of the phrase so maybe it is copied from some kind of
regulation document.
I don't get it.
Someone suggested maybe it means most of the steam will condense in

the filters or grease trap (the wire grid).

I will have to choose an extractor hood soon also.

Can anyone explain ?

Simon.