Posted to alt.home.repair
Duesenberg Duesenberg is offline

Default Prices lowered for the economy?

On 4/13/2012 12:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a call today, and fellow wanted my prices. I quoted my usual price. I
can tell over the phone, the "uh, I'll call you back" routine. The price
that I used to get, before. Not making any sales.

Should I lower my prices, and figure that a low price job is better than no
job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I dunno if my post will help you or confuse you but never underestimate
the power of word of mouth.

We purchased a furnace this year, a 96% Afue with variable speed ECM
blower, single stage.

I shopped for 3 quotes but I went with the 40 year old guy who spent 2
hours trying to isolate and solve what he could with the 14 year old
furnace. (partially running control board that was gonna cost $600 to fix)

I wanted him to lower his price by $500 for the new furance and all the
related plenum and installation and modifications and he wasn't really
happy with my request (could just tell by his voice) but we agreed to go
$250 off. He gave us a really competitive quote to begin with so he was
annoyed I asked for more, but we agreed in the end.

The reason he was willing to go lower with me was I told him he did a
thorough inspection of the old unit and did his best to see if it was
worth keeping it and that we appreciated that effort. He waived his
initial repair visit charge to us.

Installation took him 90 minutes longer than he hoped, his wife was
calling him at our house to come to dinner, but I told him he could use
us as a reference if need be and he thanked us for that and I offered to
keep his sign on our lawn till air conditioning season, which he seemed
grateful. Free advertising and free word of mouth, that's what we
offered him back.

I hope his young business grows.