Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shear strength of screws

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:18:10 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/13/2012 2:53 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Yeah, considering relatively no one has a basement in the south, where
else would you run the plumbing? ;~)

That is so funny. For those of us in the frost belt, we cannot conceive of
a house without a basement - or at least a crawl space (a cheap alternative
that raises at least one eyebrow...) under a home. Hell - it ain't a home
without a basement. Where the hell do you guys do your reloading? Can't
put an ammo bench out in the garage - it gets all dirty'd up from painting
cars! Where do you put the pool table? The wife's sewing room? Ya just
can't really have a home without a basement. Even in Texas!

I'll give you a dime for every basement in the Texas if you'll give me a
penny for everyone in the "frost belt".

They're not unheard of, but rarer than unicorn poop on a roof.

Occasionally someone (usually from the NE) with more money than sense,
will get a code variance at huge cost and risk and actually build one
... in the trade we call them what they will soon be ... "indoor
swimming pools".

Unless the builder's name is Noah.
What New Orleans needs is a statute requiring ferrocrete (hull)
basements in ALL new construction homes. Then next time the flood
barriers are breached they'll all turn into yachts or houseboats.