Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shear strength of screws

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:54:02 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/13/2012 1:22 PM, wrote:

Water pipes in the ATTIC?? Now that's a bass ackwards way of doing
things - at least it would be up here. Water pipes in the attic WOULD
be likely to freeze. We don't heat our attics - at least not
intentionally.

It's standard procedure in almost all single story structures in the
Southern and Western states of the US, particularly in what is known as
"Hot Humid Climates", typically areas like the Gulf Coast where
basements are mostly out of the question due water tables, and 99.9% of
residential foundations are slab on grade.

That said, unvented attics, where all plumbing and HVAC duct work are
within the thermal envelope, is gaining some traction, although
relatively expensive and does have it's own drawbacks.

Besides, how else would plumbers, sheetrockers and painter's make it
through a harsh winter without some burst pipe work??

They manage quite well up here. Construction slows down, but
certainly does not stop during the winter. Some of the real wusses
head south for winter holidays.