Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shear strength of screws

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:53:30 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/13/2012 1:20 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 07:22:27 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/12/2012 12:40 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:50:37 -0500, wrote:

On 4/12/2012 9:44 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/12/12 9:35 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/12/2012 8:20 AM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:05:03 -0500, wrote:
Pex is "fully code compliant", just try using it in building a house
many in jurisdictions across the US.

Has there been noticeable resistance to it? To me anyway, it looks
like the ultimate plumbing product. At least for the current state of
the art.

Absolutely in some areas, to the point that it can not be used. Although
as soon as some of these old farts on jurisdiction's zoning and building
standards boards retire, that should be subject to change.

Tru dat. Most resistance to new, better technology comes from old school
technophobes often entrenched in a corrupt system protecting their
fellow old schoolers and the technology they profit the most from. If
you can sit on a house for 3 days, sweating copper and charging like
it's rocket surgery, why would you switch to Pex and only get a 1/2
day's labor, then have to go find another client?

+1
Makes a lot of sense when you quote the job on a contract basis
instead of time and materials. Contractor is used to, say, $3500 to
plumb the house in copper, so he's REAL happy to pay $2500 to have it
done in PEX - while $1400 would still be making the plumber money.

But in MY opinion, a house plumbed with copper just looks so much
NEATER, and more professional than the "spiderwebs" of PEX that I see
in a lot of new houses. Nothing requires PEX to be run in straight
lines with neat 90 degree bends - so the "cheap" plumber just runs the
crap in the shortest, easiest route, looks be damned.

I prefer the advantages of how PEX is usually installed over the looks
of copper how copper is typically installed.

In south Texas we ocassionally get a harsh winter. Pipes freeze, copper
pipes seem to be the first to burst.

Up here we occaisionally do NOT get harsh winters, and I've never had
one of my copper pipes burst - but then I don't allow them to freeze
either.

PEX expands and is less likely to break and in my case comes with a 10
year warranty.
Additionally PEX is normally run through a mainfold. The previous
winter I was able to shut off water to the out side hose bibs from the
manifold and open the bibs to drain the water before the freeze. I had
running water for all of the i other nterior faucets.

I can do that in my copper plumbed house too, with no manifold.
However, I've chosen to use hydrants instead (frost-proof hose bibs)

But should you develop a leak at any fixture or pipe leading to that
fixture can you isolate that feed and leave every thing else on?

I can isolate my hot, hard cold, and soft cold water separately en
mass, and I can shut off any outlet separately to replace or service
the faucet or valve. All service valves have been replaced with ball
valves, so I don't run into seized shutoff valves.

So I guess the short answer is yes.