Bob Minchin

Default Choice of dovetail jig

Sean Delere wrote:

Do Axminster not do an alternative to either of the above ?

I bought the Axminster one a few months back and am happy with it.

As others have said it take a bit of time to set up but once done it works a
treat.

Sean

My axminster one turned out to be quite a bit out of square. I made a small box
as a first trial job and when it wa glued up square all the joints gapped. I
ended up stripping the jig down to the bent sheet metal base, gluing a 6mm thick
mdf sheet on the vertical face and then machining the thing square on my metal
milling machine. I'd have sent it back if it had not been many months between
buying it and trying it out for real.
Maybe mine was a friday afternoon one but the build quality, poor instructions
and set/repeatability problems put me off this model completely.
The leigh is a joy to use by comparison and can be got second hand for a
relatively good price if you look around.

Bob