Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David David is offline

Default Laptop motherboard required

My daughters laptop has stopped charging the battery. The battery is
fine in another identical laptop so I dont believe it is a battery
problem. The battery from the 'other' laptop will not charge in the
problem one.

I believe the easy solution is a new motherboard. The original
supplier no longer has any spares available.

The laptop was sold in the UK by Novatech but I think it is 'generic'
It has a model number L51II0 on the label on the base. It also has
'Made in China' 63GL51013-10 CM-2.

The motherboard was made by Uniwill. The only codes I am aware of are
ML 94V-0 E251244 and a date (?) code 0704- 171. This is about right
for when it was bought.

I have tried Googling but the best I have come up with are some
"ex-equipment" sold for spares.

I have had problems in the past with the power connector on the board
but I believe these have been resolved (mostly by a U-shaped wire from
the back of the pin to the board to allow a little flexing). It worked
fine for some months before the charging problem appeared.

It is running Vista and the icon in the system tray initially shows
charging when the cord is plugged in but after about 4-5 cycles it
stops moving. The info bubble continues to show 'plugged in: charging'
but no power goes into the battery (% shown remains constant).

I would appreciate any suggestions for a source or any ideas for what
might be wrong.