Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

On 12/04/2012 23:43, dennis@home wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:56:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
The idea is it is a low bandwidth system that can be used with simple
computers. To make it a universal free standard. Which of course
is why
Gates tries to break it.

We are no longer living in the dark ages.
There are very few people using shared 300 baud modems these days.
Or computers that can't handle some simple mark up languages.

'We' may not be - but other parts of the world still are.
Those who just really must have pretty fonts in all different colours -
laid over some picture or other - can always use a forum where others
with
the same likes go. But leave this medium as it is and was meant to be -
just plain text, and nothing else.

Hear hear.

I would accept that an _email_ between two "consenting adults", as it
were, can be in any format agreed by both, but "cold-calling" emails
and especially usenet messages must be in a format readable by
anybody, anywhere (OK - language excepted!).

That rules out "plain text" then as many languages in the world can't be
done in "plain text".
Better change UseNet so it doesn't use "plain text" then.

You will find that many non english speaking non ASCII charset nations
have found ways of communicating on plain ASCII fora in the past using
mnemonic representations of words etc.

--
Cheers,

John.