Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Help with basic elec. motor stuff

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:20:41 -0500, "Anon" wrote:

Its probably a tapped coil to provide two speeds.

I ran a search on "tapped coil": wasn't much help. Howzit woik?

In this case, Black is
"common" to both speeds (not necessarily neutral but it probably is
connected to the neutral side of the cord), Red and Blue represent two
speeds, fed by the switch, which in turn is fed from the mains side of the
cord. Test ohms from Black to red, and from Black to blue; they should have
some value other than 0 or infinity.

Unplugged. Black to red: 0. Black to blue: 0. Blue to red: 1.

Found more info:

Thermo-fuse Rot CW
|--------- Black --------------------------
| |
|--------- Blue (Lo) ---------- Line
| |
|----------Red (Hi) -----------------------

It has been mentioned before in this thread that the most common failure is
in the brass slip bearings often used in these things. The tiniest bit of
uneven wear will allow the rotor to lock to the stator.

Not observed.

If it locks up when powered, suspect the bearing.
If it spins free when powered, suspect the switch or the motor.
If it spins when powered or hums, but seems to have reluctance, suspect the
motor.

It just stopped running. Shaft turned freely.

I'm not really concerned about this motor. I just *hoped* to understand
something of it's electromagnetic workings and how that related to the
wire colors, etc.

Thx,