Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/04/2012 21:30, dennis@home wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/04/2012 14:07, hugh wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
hugh ]:
Anything which relies on 32 bit windows explorer will not run on 64
bit
W7. Unfortunately that includes my mail/usenet agent Turnpike which I
am loath to give up.

That's the one and only reason I've standardised on W7 32-bit.
Fortunately 4 GB is plenty for my (not exactly modest) needs.

It's probably plenty for the vast majority of people, but the "more is
better" brigade are running the show.
I run XP on 2 gb and it's enough most of the time.

Remember the OS base requirements are higher for Vista and Win7. So If
you are just ok with 2 on XP, you will need more on later OSs.

That's not true, win7 works well in less RAM than XP.

Not in my experience...

Hence why they have Win 7 Lite for use on netbooks that run XP just
fine...

They run win7 fine too.
However the lite version is a marketing version that allows it to be cheap
without making people put the real win7 on notebooks and desktops cheaply.

Minimum requirements for Win 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...m-requirements

XP SP3s office requirements are quite a bit less, but in the real world
will at least boot on a 512M machine and run one reasonable size program
at a time that way. Needless to say the virus scanner will tend to push it
over the edge though. You really need 2GB to be in the same boat on 7.

No, as you say it runs on netbooks.