Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Fastening things to metal or fiberglass doors

On 4/12/2012 6:14 PM, DanG wrote:
On 4/12/2012 8:12 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
I have 2 new exterior doors, one is metal and the other is fiberglass.
I need to attach some things to them. I need to put curtains
on one and a door stop on the other. Are there any special
problems with doing that? My first thought of course just to drill
pilot holes and put in screws. Would that work ok?

Bill

Are you talking about a commercial 18 gauge metal door or one of the
residential "shells"? 18 gauge will hold self drilling screws just fine.
I think I would consider RivNuts, NutSerts or equal for a typical light
weight configuration. Pop Rivets will be Ok, but marginal. Screws out
mid span without something inside will be iffy at best.

Commercial work would use Sex bolts like this:
http://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_a...ng_screws.aspx

I was kind of wondering about that. I finally found information
on the door and the shell is .0219" iron. About 25 gauge. That
is pretty thin, and there will be little structural strength. The
core is foam. It makes a nicely insulated door, but I'm kind of
worried about trying to screw anything to it. And there don't
seem to be any internal structural parts, so there isn't any place
that would provide the support needed.

The other door is fiberglass, and I assume that the fiberglass isn't
much thinker than the metal. So I am even wondering about how to mount
the curtains. In that case there may be something around the
window, but I'm not sure. I may try with a stud sensor and see
if I can come up with anything. It might catch a change in
density.

Bill