Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Sanding 2 Part Epoxy Resin

He is trying to level it.
Lets assume it's wavy. Do you really think 1000 is going to do that?
1000 is really fine.

On 4/12/2012 7:07 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

Too level 1000 will not do it. Too fine.

Not true. 1000 grit will indeed take it down. I do it all of the time.

But you can work your way backwards to find out what paper to start
with.... You can start with 400 and find out if it is cutting fast
enough, if not move down to 320.... But I do urge you to wait the 2-3
days. So you don't fill your sandpaper with globs of soft epoxy.
Softer sands faster, but not evenly.

Lots of people seem to recommend coarse grits. Can't figure out why. I
never go any more coarse than 600 for this kind of work. I apply a lot of
finishes - wood, automobile, etc. and I just would not consider the grits
that have been suggested here. The few minutes that a finer grit requires
is nothing compared to the deep cuts that the coarser stuff makes.