Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default bending mild steel 180

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:56:57 +0000 (UTC), xpzzzz
wrote:

I need to "invert" a stamped steel part; at one end there is a spring
hook made with a 90 degree bend at its base. I need to flip this hook
180 so it is 90 degrees on the other side. The stamping is about 3/32"
thick and the hook projects maybe 1/4". I only have one chance at this.

I assume it is mild steel.

Cold? Hot? If hot how hot?

If it really is good, clean mild steel (1018 or similar), it's very
forgiving. What you *might* get away with covers a lot of territory.
It may work cold with no trouble.

Or maybe not, especially if that initial bend is sharp and it was
somewhat ironed in the original stamping. For safety, forge at 1500
def. F up to 1800 or so (bright red through orange-yellow), and don't
soak it any longer than you have to. It's quite soft at the high end
of that range.

If it's alloy steel, the low end -- down to medium-red -- is safer. If
it's structural-steel junk, like A36, all bets are off. It will depend
on the impurities.

Good luck. Don't bet your life on the results.

--
Ed Huntress