Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

On 12/04/2012 08:39, Clive Page wrote:
Only COMPILED programs may not copy. Data is - just data. I mean I copy
those freely between a 32bit XP virtual machine and a 64 bit Linux..

Indeed. My experience is as follows.

[snip]

be dead ends. There is a Win XP mode in Windows 7 but it can't be used
in Win7 Home Premium; you have to pay Microsoft an extortionate fee to
upgrade it. Eventually I switched to using Thunderbird for news reading

A few have mentioned XP compatibility mode, so some comments are
probably worthwhile.

Its true that you need Pro (or better) to use this out of the box.

However, XP mode is in reality a complete virtual machine running a real
copy of WinXP. There is nothing to stop you using any other virtual PC
hypervisor (including Microsoft's own Virtual PC) and installing your
own real copy of XP on that.

However the confusion is added to, if you go to MS' web page for Virtual
PC, where it will tell you you are not eligible to run XP mode on Win 7
Home for example. While this is true, its misleading, since its
referring to the bundled XP mode, and not talking about installing
Virtual PC and your own XP, which is kind of what you expect the web
page about Virtual PC would be all about!

Running Virtual PC on Win 7 Home *is* a supported platform. However the
difference is that with XP mode in Win 7 pro, it automatically includes
the Win XP license required to run XP in this way. If you have the Home
version (or Basic etc), you will need a separate fully licensed version
of XP to install under Virtual PC to make it work.

--
Cheers,

John.