Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/11/2012 3:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/11/2012 1:10 PM, Jack wrote:
On 4/11/2012 8:25 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/10/2012 10:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 4/10/2012 11:45 AM, Jack wrote:

You actually think Festool doesn't have a few MBAthinkers running
around figuring out how to pry large sums of cash out of the
pockets of
Texans?

You maybe think that we that can afford a quality tool are sick and
tired of paying for crap and Festool recognizes that?

While that's entirely possible, I think the more plausible reason is
that they decided to play to the top end and spent more time building
better tools/features (and jacking up prices) than most mfgrs do. Lee
Valley, Bridge City, Lie Nielsen, Rolls Royce, Land's End, Apple,
Nordstrom, SaurStop, and a few others do that, too. I strongly doubt
-any- were built on anything resembling altruism, though.

Was altruism even in the topic?

The topic was MBAthink is likely just as responsible for cheap Ryobi as
well as expensive Festool.

I was under the impression that the
discussion had singled out Festool and its ungodly color and it being
the "most expensive vac on earth" and people paying unbelievable amounts
to have one. 3 Totally ignorant statements.

Festool green is ugly.
$500+ for a common shop vac is the most expensive I've seen.
Unbelievable is accurate for this item, of course the MBAthinkers at
Festool apparently don't think so, I'll give you that one.

Small world you live in. A moments search turned up..

other brand "most expensive on earth" vaccuums.

And this one has no mention of a HEPA filter. Ugly Orange and Butt Ugly.
And I am sure worth every penny.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...extractor.aspx

Well, that too is a crazy price for a shop vacuum, but is still less
than the Festool.

And if you really want to get expensive in the "ShopVac brand,

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIwBEPMCMAM

Well, that's an industrial vac with a stainless steel tank, not
something someone not driving a Lincoln Pickup would buy for his shop.
More like something an MBAthinker might buy for his company for tax
purposes, or a gov't manager to insure spending all his budget to avoid
any cuts.

Well, I believe you think you are just as happy with your Makita as I am
with my Festool.

Yeah, what does Larry know? Poor sap probably can't afford to spend 500
on a shop Vac either, or just doesn't think it's worth it. Thanks to
MBAthink, he can buy what he wants.

He is not foolish or gullible Jack, at least I do not think so however
you might be.

Always that possibility.

But when it comes to power tools I choose my safety,
accuracy, and ease of use, and life expectancy when making purchases.

Yeah, and the rest of us mortals never think of any of that stuff, we
just buy whatever the market throws at us.

Damn, this Harbor Fright clamp sucks, think I'll buy another dozen...

Your words!

Yeah, and while being a fool, I won't be saying them again, now that I
know to think about "safety, accuracy, ease of use and life expectancy"
when buying stuff. You would think the gov't would force Harbor Fright
out of business as obviously a lot of hapless dumb asses are buying junk
from them.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com