Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:55:13 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

True. I like the concept. But I'm in extreme disagreement with the
way the inventors went about the process. If they hadn't wanted so
much money, one or more of the manufacturers would have jumped at the
chance to offer the first saw equipped with the technology.

So, here's the thought that keeps coming back to me... (and mind you - I
have no more insight into this than you, so we're both really dealing in the
realm of speculation). I'm wondering how much the legal department got into
the mix and screwed up any possible deals - moreso than any economic issues.
Lawyers are notorious for not wanting to admit any current or past
liabilities - even beyond what would make sense to you and I. I wonder how
much Ryobi's and every other manufacturer's legal departments agreed that
there was too much legal exposure if they embraced this technology. Price
may also have been an issue, but I just keep wondering if it wasn't more
than just price.

Oh, I'm absolutely certain there was subterfuge there from the legal
dept's on both sides.

And for
them to side against Ryobi, who dropped the contractual agreements
with SS, is extremely unethical in my books. It's not the sawstop,
it's the persons behind it which get my dander up.

Unethical is a very subjective term - and I do note your use of the phrase
"in my book". I just can't get past the idea that there is more to this
entire story than has made the press. Maybe I'm wrong...

I try to remind Leon that everything said here on the Wreck is
opinion. But I'm fairly certain that money was the main culprit.

For one man [actually a (is "toxic" redundant here?) set of 4
attorneys] to monopolize an industry via regulations is antithetical
to what our United States Gov't means to me.

Could be - but only on the surface. If the entire rest of the industry is
willfully electing to do nothing, then, is that one man (or set of 4
attorneys), really all that toxic? Opportunistic? Sure. Toxic - not sure
that really applies. Remember - the entire industry had their chance to
counter and elected not to. I don't feel any sympathy for them.

Counter what?

Bull! There was no regulation back then like the one which threatens
us now, thanks to SS.

Well - welcome to the world of ignorant people who are willing to be
protected from themselves. It's your neighbors that brought this on - not
any manufacturer.

It's unethical speaking weasels who prey on the sheeple who brought
this on.

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.