Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Semi truck GVWR vs GCWR. Truckers, anyone?

On 4/11/2012 2:06 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:54:18 -0500
wrote:

big snip
That's why see the many-axled trailer in so much of the NE and upper
midwest--MI must be particularly restrictive from what I've observed
when traveling to the Monroe fossil and Davis-Besse nuclear power plants
in my former days...

Too lazy to look it up, but you can legally scale ~160,000lbs gross in
MI. That is why they have all those axles and yes, you can still get
busted for a misload. Commonly called 11 axle, three on the tractor and
eight on the trailer. Brother-inlaw used to drive one hauling steel.
Back then (~30 years) if you were talented and lucky you could even
get away with more by playing with the air axles as you crossed the
weigh-station scale

You should try sitting on one of our viaducts sometime and
wait for one of those loaded 11 axles rigs to rumble by. And the
Sheeple wonder why our roads are crap...

Been there, done that (outside Monroe plant, primarily waiting for
coal trains to clear; was a exit off the viaduct that was a gravel/wash
pit, apparently, that was a regular stream of vehicles).

They're really hell in the snow...was there one year at roughly
Christmas time and had roughly 2-ft--trucks stranded everywhere. To my
great surprise, they were saying that was an all-time record for a 24-hr
accumulation and I was also amazed at how it nearly completely paralyzed
Detroit area. I had always presumed they would have the means of
dealing w/ a little thing like a couple of feet, only...

This would have been toward end of the 80s if memory serves correctly.
We were doing the S-meter upgrade at Monroe and last I worked on it
would have been about that time...my how time has flown.