Mutt

Default Grizzly 6" Jointer Experience

War?? I'm a lover,not a fighter.... I glad your experience with griz
was a positive one, so were mine. What I mean by "better in every
respect" is yes, you are correct there are some subtle advantages to a
DJ-20 which may or may not make any difference to a particular user,
such as the bed alignment, the fence design, etc. But the beds do not
have the 5" extender that at least one of the Griz 8" jointers do, the
DJ-20 has replacable "soft" metal inserts at the blade rotor opening,
and overall the fit and finish is of higher quality, which I freely
admit you pay extra for. Now, don't misunderstand me, I have owned 3
grizz products, a table saw, jointer and a drill press. Each has had
some minor but annoying "issues" such as you described with the pulley
set screws, like finding loose bolts on trunions, having to file down
milled iron edges, a motor burnt out (which griz immediately replaced)
etc., but others required me to shim the jointer to get it to adjust
correctly after hours of diddling around; some screws stripped threads
in iron which I had to retap, and things like that. Did each machine
cut, joint, drill accurately and give me fine service for a number of
years, yes, after spending some time fine tuning each machine (which I
was fine with and was willing/able to do). I am far from trashing
grizz as I feel I got really good value for each machine at the time,
and I realize that folks have horror tales to tell about every
manufacturer, including Delta, Jet, Powermatic, you name them; but my
tales about griz are not horror stories. All I am saying is that my
particular DJ-20 has excellent fit and finish, zero assembly or
operational issues, was flat, true and well adjusted out of the crate,
and since november I have face planed about 600 board feet of 7 to 8"
wide maple and poplar without so much as a tweak to the beast, and to
me that machine was worth an additional $400 (and not to gloat, but
the deal I got at the wood show was free of shipping charge, threw in
a delta mobile base for free, and I got a coupon for a free PC 690
router, so take off another, say, $200 for those two goodies and we
are actually at a net $200 difference, but YMMV). I daresay that
resale value (after my heirs sprinkle my ashes in a hardwood forest up
in the Appalachians somewhere) will likely be higher with a DJ-20 than
a griz, but I'll be dead when this puppy gets sold so I really don't
give a s*** about that.

"Montyhp" montyhp at yahoo.com wrote in message

At the risk of starting a war: How is the DJ-20 much better in every
respect? I know it is different and the delta adjustment system may have
some subtle advantages, but my G0800 has been flawless except for the fact
that the set screws on the upper pulley backed out (a little loctite fixed
that).