Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default aioe or ?

"Steve B" wrote in message

stuff snipped

If I only had the technical skill to understand it. Basically, when I
signed up, I figured that I would have to limit posting, and snip
significantly. Things went fine. For a while. Then, I guess, I started
reverting to old ways.

A lot of it is super-techie gobbledegook. The important parts a

Each IP address is authorized to post 25 messages per day and the posting
rights are suspended for 24 hours if more than three messages are rejected
in a day.

That means if you go over limit and keep hitting "send and receive" more
than three times (who doesn't when they see the message hasn't left the
outbox?) you get suspended for a day.

Each post must be sent to less than three groups (crosspost) and each one
can include at most three followup groups.

If you reply to a message that lists three groups or more (some of AHR's
post list 5 or more) you get an error message. Try three times and you get
a 24 hour time out.

Maximum allowed size is 32 KB per article and 2 KB per header. Only two
concurrent connections per IP address are allowed and 400 connections per
day are accepted from each IP address.

Check your messages too many times or log on from too many computers and you
guessed it: you're suspended for 24 hours.

It's probably important to note that they're not being mean or cheap. They
are trying to control the idiots that use Newservers like AIOE to spam
Usenet. I don't know if they still use "banlists" but AIOE has cut off
access to entire groups that "don't behave." I think we're trying hard to
get on that banlist.

I can learn new things, and usenet has become much less of a force in my
life now, and I am much busier with real life things. So, maybe I just

need
to reread the rules, and adjust accordingly.

Given that the entire newsgroup seems to have started burning like Rome
under Nero, maybe it's good to keep one foot in the real world in the
springtime and avoid the flames. Guys are butting heads to show off to the
females. I think that's Jennifer and Norminn. (-: Hey you two, find any
potential mates?

Thank you for your insight.

You're welcome.

--