Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

In article op.wclltdnon5ksl5@richard, Richard Russell
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 18:20:11 +0100, Jim Hawkins
wrote:

When I get a new PC it'll be Windows 7, but what are the pros and cons
of the two different bit sizes ?

Pros of 64-bit Windows 7:

1. Can run genuine 64-bit applications (but there are very few of those).

2. Can support a larger amount of physical memory (maximum 4 GB on
Win32, up to 192 GB on Win64 depending on version).

Cons of 64-bit Windows 7:

1. Can't run any 16-bit (DOS) programs - other than using a emulator
like DOSBOX.

2. Poorer support for legacy device drivers: if you have an older
scanner, printer, camera etc. 64-bit drivers may not be available.

may not, being the operative phrase. I am still using my nearly 10 year
old scanner (Epson 1660) although when I first went to W7 two years ago the
driver hadn't yet appeared.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18