Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default aioe or ?

Steve B wrote:

I just changed from a pay news server to a free aioe.org.

However, I have been receiving error messages,

You should post the error messages. The most basic issues I can see
happening is:

1) posting to more than 3 groups (can't do it - 3 is the limit)
2) posting to a combination of 2 or 3 groups where one of the groups is
moderated
3) posting to 2 or 3 groups where one of the hierarchies doesn't allow
for cross-posting to a different hierarchy
4) trying to post any sort of file attachment (even maybe a .sig)
5) your computer's time or date (or time-zone) could be (way) off.
6) your usenet client could be trying to login into the server
(not needed - turn that off)

and messages that go to my outbox, and are not sent directly.

I take it that they're just sitting in your outbox?

Make sure your port settings are port 119, no authentication / no
encryption.

Should I be considering another FREE (!) (keyword free) way
of accessing usenet?

I've been using AIOE for 5 years. It's a solid server and my
10-year-old usenet client (Netscape communicator 4.78) has no problems
with it.

The post that you made (that I'm responding to) seemed to work ok... ?