Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default gear cutting

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:01:27 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

The worm is a simple thread-cutting job in the lathe. The set will
match quite well but it's not something you'd want to use for a real
high-torque job.

You could buy a Whitworth or Acme tap, and do a more robust job, still
without "special" tooling.

LLoyd

In fact, my last one was made with a long-shank 1/2" Acme tap, which
is better and probably stronger, but I didn't want to make it sound
complicated. You can do a credible job for a low-torque application,
like a rotisserie (unless you're roasting whole pigs) with a regular
tap.

I made one that way around 30 years ago that still drives my
fishing-rod rotisserie. The one I made with the Acme tap was supposed
to replace it, but the original worked fine so I gave the newer set to
another rod-builder friend.

--
Ed Huntress