Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21956 Ignoramus21956 is offline

Default Semi truck GVWR vs GCWR. Truckers, anyone?

I have a Ford LNT9000 Semi tractor.

I uploaded some pictures he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Ford-LNT9000/

The nameplate is pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Ford-LNT9...T9000-0007.jpg

Its name plate on the door says, GVWR 44,800 lbs.

What exactly does it mean?

Someone told me that this means that the total weight of truck plus
trailer (combined) cannot exceed 44,800 lbs.

This makes no sense to me, as GVWR is not the same as GCWR, and if
they wanted to put GCWR on the truck, they would say so.

So... How big of a trailer can this truck tow?

Sorry for being so confused, guys, I would hate to realize that I
cannot tow a trailer that would be as big as I would hope to be able
to. The trailer I have is the low boy behind the truck, you can see it
on pictures.

My own reasoning is that GVWR is the max loaded weight of the front
and back axles of the truck, and it does not include the weight of the
rear axles of the semi trailer. So the GCWR capacity is limited by
44,800 plus 34,000 for the rear axles of the semi trailer, or 78,800
lbs GCWR.

Who is right?

Please, help!