Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bernard Peek Bernard Peek is offline

Default Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

On 10/04/12 18:20, Jim Hawkins wrote:
When I get a new PC it'll be Windows 7, but what are the pros and cons of
the two differebt bit sizes ?

If you want to use more than about 3.5Gb of memory then you have to use
64-bit. Most new machines have 64-bit pre-installed.

I've heard you can't copy stuff from XP machines to 64 bit Win 7 machines.
Is that true ?

No. You can copy any file either way between the two systems. But some
old programs will not run under 64-bit OS.

Some old hardware does not work with 64-bit.

I'd like to copy .jpg and .pdf files, Outlook Express folders and MS Word
.doc files. Are those a problem, and if so, are there any workarounds or
conversion utilities available ?

Only the Outlook Express data files should present any problems as OE is
not supplied with W7. There is a replacement program and I believe that
it can import data from OE files.

--
Bernard Peek