Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Passing of an Iconic amp maker;(...

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:
Porsche did it in 1936 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen

And near 50 years later, the Beetle finally got half decent rear
suspension...

The Super Beetle was a true update but came in 1971 which was only 35
years later.

Not much difference between 35 and 50 at my age. ;-)

I can't think what car or development aligns with 1986 (1936+50) .

The New Beetle came 62 years later (1998) and was a completely different
car being FWD.

At least it was still a VW, unlike the Mini. ;-)

FWD cars typically have relatively primitive rear suspensions and still
handle pretty well because the rear suspension of a FWD car doesn't
have a lot to do but keep the rear bumper from dragging on the
pavement! ;-)

That's what many makers would have you belive as it keeps costs down. But
the better handling FWD cars also have decent rear suspension.

Agreed.
trailing arms and a rear beam is..vile.
the original mini with its traling arms and IIRC a sort of wishbone
arrangement was infinitely superior. Minis were almost impossible to get
into a silly state, but the Morris 1100 was easy to get into a tail
slapper on a trailing throttle. Vile.
I think the second best FWD I have driven was the Punto. Oddly enough
that cornered very predictably. Golfs were not bad either ISTR.

and how hard it is to achieve it.