Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin C. Martin C. is offline

Default Recirculating heat motor ... can it be quieted or bypassed(pic included)

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 17:10:49 -0700, Bob F wrote:

The recirc pump probably stirs the water in the tank, reducing the temp
at the top, and increasing the heat at the bottom. I imagine it would
show up more the longer the tank is used in a short period.

That's helpful insight!

It must be doing that, because all agree that the water appears hotter
(at least at first) with the recirculation pump turned off.

This morning, I tested the shower, and it took 8 seconds (one onethousand,
two one thousand, etc.) for it to get hot enough to hurt.

So, the recirc pump, in essence only subtracted 8 seconds from the time-
to-hot-water point, but, it also cooled that hot water, and made a whole
lott'a vibratory noise (due to the lousy mounting).

I consider it a win:win with the darn thing unplugged.

I'm just not sure whether to leave the three valves in the open or closed
positions.