Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Recirculating heat motor ... can it be quieted or bypassed (pic included)

Martin C. wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 09:59:15 -0700, wrote:

Here's an interesting question. If you had a second water heater in
parallel that was 6 years old and not being used, would you turn it
off but leave it full. Or drain it? Any guess as to which would
result in longer life so that it could then be used when the active
one fails?

I was wondering something similar.

I've had things turned off that never went back on again (due to
crud, I guess). Once I left a perfectly well running car outside for
six months, and it was a bear to get it going again.

I realize the dynamics are different ... but do people actually turn
off hot water heaters for long periods of time (like years) and then
turn them back on again.

It'll last longer turned off than turned on. Lower heat, slower chemical
processes like rust. I can see no negatives to turning off the 1st head of the
pair if you still have anough hot water. It'll cut standby losses in half. Do
you have a big jacuzzi? Do you use it?