Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Ridge Vent or Box Vents?

Home Guy wrote:
bob haller wrote:

in the summer with AC sucking cooled air from the air conditioned
space is a poor choice, but at the same time its when having a
cool attic is most important....

beyond which sucking on the living part of the home will create
paths for the air from the living area to follow all the time...

In the summer, if I had a choice between:

a) pulling 1000 cfm of air out of my attic using powered vents - with
950 cfm coming from the soffits (and/or gable-end vents) and 50 cfm
coming from ceiling leaks - or

b) having NO powered vents (only passive vents) and therefore only
getting 200 cfm of passive air movement out of the attic (and 0 cfm
from ceiling air leaks) -

It's a no -brainer which one is better for the house and the roof.

As long as you don't care what it costs to run the A/C. Trying to cool an extra
50 cfm of exterior air continuously is going to COST.