Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Clogged toilet question

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

One of my toilets is a Kohler "flush and plunge" -- one of
the their first attempts at low flow toilets. I hate the
thing. (My other is also a new Kohler and it is the 8th
wonder of the world: they got it right this time. Talk
about a hard sell!)

The Flush and Plunge finally got a paper clog that will
not plunge or auger. I want to have a plumber come
in and clear the clog and replace the hated toilet all at
the same time. Recession and all, this won't occur for a
month or two.

Question: it takes about three days to drain its water.
While I wait, do I add water back or just leave the thing.

Thinking on your problem, are you sure the whole situation is the fault of
the toilet? Or do you have some blockage (roots, etc.) downstream.

If "whatever" can get past the toilet, it should make it down the pipes -
the pipes are larger diameter than the toilet.

In other words, before you spend $300+ to have the toilet replaced, make
sure your pipes are okay. The ultimate way to do this is to have a camera
inspection.

It may turn out that the sewer pipe is broken or infested with roots.
Admittedly, I can't see how that would not affect your other drains, but it
could be the problem is not the toilet's fault.