Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Help with basic elec. motor stuff

Puddin' Man wrote:

So my little 2-speed fan just stops running.

http://harborside-color.amazonwebsto...B000WLVKZG.htm

I workbench it and try to figure what the problem might be. It's
getting power. Nothing appears to be burnt.

Can anyone identify the type of elec. motor in the pics?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...anapart001.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...anapart002.jpg

The pics are the 2 sides of the same motor.

Any info and or hints about the principles of operation of this type
motor would be much appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded-...chronous_motor

Search on "shaded pole motor".

More info please?
How long does it run before it stops?
About what speed does it run? About 3400 RPM?
Does it stop abruptly or does it slow down and then stop?
Does it stop when you move the various wiring bits?

--Winston