Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridge Vent or Box Vents?

On Apr 8, 8:02*pm, Larry Fishel wrote:
On Apr 8, 5:42*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have heard that ridge vents only work well if there are wide soffits,
like 12" or more.

On houses with narrow soffits, box vents are recommended.

It seems to me that there might be some failure to communicate here
(the forum). The OP is saying (taken literally) that his SOFFITS are
6", not his soffit VENTS. That leaves very little room for vents and
maybe the roofer thinks he will need fans to pull enough air through?
I don't know enough to offer an opinion on whether that would be
correct...

Thanks for correcting that. Even with 6" soffits, if you ran a 2 or 3
inch wide continuous soffit down it, that adds up
to a lot of intake space, 24 or 36 sq inches per foot.
The only reason that wouldn't work is if there were
something in the construction blocking it. That something
in many cases is insulation that gets shoved too far, right
over the vents. To do it right, there should be plastic
baffles that you can get at HD that get stapled to the
underside of the sheating, at the soffits, that form an
open channel for a few feet from the soffit so that air
can flow.

A continuous soffit vent together with a continous ridge
vent, IMO is the optimal solution. The ridge vent is
typically a couple inches wide. A similar size opening
along the soffit and you're all set.