Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommended tool list for new owner of a fixer-upper

On Apr 8, 2:45*pm, Metspitzer
Best you can afford battery operated screw gun.

If by that you mean a cordless driver/drill, I agree.
A ratchet/socket set.
I'd put a stud finder on the list too. A couple of good
levels, one about 12", another about 3ft. A line level.

I'd also put a sabre saw and a circular saw on the list,
given the deck and enclosing part of the open room projects.
But, I have to say. If he has no tools, he probably has no
experience either. And those two projects are among the
very best classics for doing a lot of work, spending a lot on
materials, and screwing it up royally. Then you wind up
with something that doesn't look like it should and has all sorts
of problems eg leaks in the former non-enclosed room.
I've seen decks that had to be torn out and started all over.
There are lots of projects you can do around the house and
save a lot of money. But for bigger projects where you don't
have the experience, often it's best to just contract it out.