Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Recommended tool list for new owner of a fixer-upper

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 10:50:06 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
wrote:

My son just bought his first house. It's a bit of a fixer-upper. There
are a lot of small to medium projects and a couple of major ones, such
as a new deck and enclosing part of an open room.

We thought we would give them a set of homeowner tools as a housewarming
gift. He's lived in apartments and has a small toolbox, but not much in
the way of power tools.

He is not an expert handyman, but I believe he will want to do as much
of it himself as he can. A good friend of mine who is a professional
cabinetmaker lives nearby and will help him.

I would appreciate suggestions for your "Top Ten" lists of the most
valuable tools for a new homeowner. I am mainly looking for larger tools
and tools that he might not think he needs but would be glad to have.

I plan to spend about $1,000 or so. I would like to get good quality
tools that will last.

I did a little research and came up with this list.

Books
Chisel Set
Clamps
Compressor
Drill & Bits
Extension Cord
Gun, Nail
Gun, Staple
Hammers: Claw, Rubber, ???
Ladder
Level
Multi-Function Tool, Oscillating
Pliers, Assorted
Pliers, Vise Grip
Sander (Air, Electric)
Saw Horse
Saw, Circular
Saw, Chain
Saw, Miter
Screwdriver Set
Shop Vac
Socket Set
Tool Box
Tool Chest
Trouble light
Voltmeter, Tester
Wire Cutter, Stripper
Wrenches, Allen
Wrenches, Box
Wrenches, Pipe

Thanks

I will post the results.

What nice Mom you are!

A couple a quick thoughts would be a framing square, a combination
square and a speed square.