Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Diving compressor post

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
I'm interested in building a surface supplied air compressor for two
divers. 22 cfm@150 psi. I know that the big difference is vegetable oil
in the crankcase vs. petroleum based oil, but just wondering if anyone
had any experience with this. A new one especially made for diving is
going to run about $7500, and one could be put together from components
for less, provided the air generating part is compatible with breathing
air.

Anyone?

Steve

I think product liability insurance will be the largest part of the cost.

From a practical standpoint do you think it will need an air cooler?
Possibly a submerged "radiator" of some kind?

From my experiences in the Gulf of Mexico ......... no. And up there, the
advantage of heated air will work for us to keep things from freezing up.
Water traps, and desiccators would be necessary, though. I am having NuAir
make us a quote on a 13hp Honda, with driers and desiccators, volume tank,
and various other gadgets, and may just bite the bullet and spend the bucks
on this piece, as it is the heart of the system, and when it's down, nobody
is doing much. I'm guessing $10k.

Steve