Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a spinning motor generate electricity?

Electricity is generated, by spinning a magnet within a coil of wire (highly
simplified). If that's a DC motor with permanant magnets, it will generate
electricity. Think: 12 volt fan from the auto department of the store.

An AC motor, spun, can also generate electric, but I'm less certain the
details.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I had a small 10" household fan that must have developed a shorted motor
winding, and began to trip the breaker. I tossed it in my scrap metal
pile. One windy day I saw the fan blade spinning from the wind, and
decided to mount it on a pole just for fun. Now on windy days it spins
like crazy. After a few years outdoors, it became noisy. I guess the
bearings were dry, so I oiled them. Now it spins well again.

Anyhow, last week I got to thinking if there was any electric being
generated while it was spinning. I put a meter across the cord but read
nothing. Of course since this motor was apparently shorted, it was kind
of stupid to expect any output power.

However, if I was to take a working fan and do the same thing, would I
get any power out of it? A motor is similar to a generator, but is it
capable of generating power?

My thoughts are (if this works), are to put a fan outside with a small
cover over the motor (to keep water out), connect it to some rectifier
diodes, and use it to charge car batteries. I suppose I'd have to rig a
voltage regulator too. I'm not sure what kind of voltage would come
from a 120v AC motor?