Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Talking of fuel.

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Apr 5, 9:53 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:

We cut all our forests down to make boards for the Trenches in WW 1.

Or was it to make pitprops for coalminers during WWII? Or was it to
build the original Navy?

Every time someone tells me we cut all the woods down I have to pinch
myself tp remember that there are more trees now then for the last 5-600
years in most arable areas.

This lead to the creation of the Forestry commission to monoculture
spruce.

WW 2 Produced yet more overdemand, fortunately there had been a world
wide deadly plague so the population was manageable. And allowed the
destruction of all but very few woods.

With the subsequent overproduction of spruce.

Which lead to the infestation of the spruce bark beetle.
So now we are cutting down all the spruce forest we can as soon as is
practicable.
No doubt there is something worse coming along if it isn't already
here by now. (I've been out of touch for decades.)

Meanwhile farmers only grow what they can make a profit on which
because of asset stripped like the Vesty Gang and Tesco Ink., isn't
much.

They can grow soya but not in competition with the gangs that own
places like Haiti.

and how hard it is to achieve it.