Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Talking of fuel.

On Apr 8, 12:15*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that
anything that can be put in a car always ends up the same price
as diesel. It happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre
until people caught on about using it for fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.
And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.
Supply and demand. At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone
in a flash. The same goes for producers and wholesalers. They
can't grow it any faster,
They can however grow a lot more of it.
Not really.
Yes, really.
You either displace some other saleable crop
They must have been making money on it when it was sold
at 50p a liter or they wouldnt have bothered growing it.
or knock down more rain forest.
Doesnt happen in the first world.
Oil seed rape is probably only grown once in a five year rotation.
There is a lot more than just that thats used to grow oil.
so the price goes up. At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as
fuel, and so there's some left on the shelf to fry our chips instead.
Doesnt explain why that hasnt happened to the price world wide.
Not everybody charges what we do for fuel.
The bulk of europe does. And there hasn't been much rain forest in
europe for quite a while now.

We cut all our forests down to make boards for the Trenches in WW 1.

Nope, and those werent rain forests anyway.

This lead to the creation of the Forestry commission to monoculture spruce.
WW 2 Produced yet more overdemand, fortunately there had been
a world wide deadly plague so the population was manageable.
And allowed the destruction of all but very few woods.

That last is just plain wrong.

With the subsequent overproduction of spruce.
Which lead to the infestation of the spruce bark beetle.
So now we are cutting down all the spruce forest we can as soon as is practicable.

Plenty of wood available from other places.

No doubt there is something worse coming along if it isn't already here by now.

Fraid not.

(I've been out of touch for decades.)
Meanwhile farmers only grow what they can make a profit on

Thats wrong too.

which because of asset stripped like the Vesty Gang and Tesco Ink., isn't much.

And that is in spades.

They can grow soya but not in competition with the gangs that own places like Haiti.

Its such a tiny place its completely irrelevant cookig oil wise.- Hide quoted text -

You ARE an ignorant ****.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempera...l_distribution

There are rain forests outside of the tropics.