Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah gonjah is offline

Default WAY OT ~ Vanguard funds

On 4/7/2012 10:41 PM, gregz wrote:
gonjahgonjah.net wrote:
On 4/7/2012 9:07 PM, gregz wrote:
"larry moe 'n wrote:
On Apr 7, 5:01 pm, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:
I've got to put some money ( $5k but less than $10k) in a IRA to avoid
Fed income taxes

Anyone have a suggestion on which Vanguard fund they would pick?
Don't rush into anything. If you don't know what fund you want now,
just pick the Vanguard Prime Money Market fund because that way you'll
satisfy the IRS for 2011 and will be in a very safe investment. You
can switch to different Vanguard funds later on. A book like Bogle on
Mutual Funds, by Vanguard founder Jack Bogle, can help you select
funds for your needs.

Don't try to select funds according to ratings or performance because
that hasn't worked well. It's a lot more important to select the
right types of funds and proportions of them and to keep your costs
(expense ratios) low.
I selected according to performance, and made a bundle. Timing is of upmost
importance.

Greg

For now I'll probably follow your advice. I can move it around later "the stooges" said.

I think I'm afraid I'll forget about it and get stuck with a tax bill.

My wife has a much larger sum in there I need to review too.

Go for it. !!! Before I started moving money around I was scared. I was
moving money around while I was still working. I ran into a situation last
summer, after retirement, that I did not see exactly why I could not
transfer like I wanted too. That cost me some money. There are limitations
on returning to previously owned funds. Usually a three month wait.

Greg

That's good to know. Thanks!

Jim