Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Soldering gold

Wife has a gold puzzle ring that is too large for her finger. (Puzzle
rings are four concentric bands that come together showing a pattern
on top of the finger).

Her jeweler wants $150 to re-size the rings. Not going to spend that
kind of money. My wife says she would be more than happy with a
dollop of solder on the bottom inside of the ring to make it smaller.
Of course at the same time it would hold the four bands together
obviating their falling apart. This could all be done by wrapping
dental floss or tape, but not very elegant.

I was hoping to lay a bead of solder on the inside bottom and then
file/sand it down to a smooth circular arc.

Questions: Can this be done? Is it non-destructive and reversible?
Can gold be soldered easily? Do I use a flux? etc. etc.

Thanks for all suggestions and replies.

Ivan Vegvary