Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Talking of fuel.

BartC wrote
Rod Speed wrote
BartC wrote
Rod Speed wrote

There just arent enough cars in britain that are diesel powered to produce a
shortage of cooking oil if some of them started using cooking oil in their cars.

I get through about 1 litre of cooking oil per year.

And hordes of commercial operations use a hell of a lot more than that.

For food products?

Yep, and for cooking the food etc.

If ultimately they will be consumed by individuals, the per capita consumption won't be hugely more than mine.

Thats just plain wrong with those that eat a lot of fried food particularly.

(And anyone getting through nearly 3 litres a day, the amount I use in my car, will probably be dead before the year
is out.)

Not if they eat the appropriate oil like olive oil.

But use about 1000 litres of diesel.

I dont use anything like that myself.

And **** all who use anything like that will bother with cooking oil from the supermarket instead.

Other people would have a smaller ratio, but even so I can see the demand for cooking oil growing by easily 100
times, if everyone who drives a diesel (40% of us) used it for fuel.

But everyone who drives a diesel isnt going to bother.

You don't think that would generate a shortage?

Nope, essentially because bugger all will bother to fart around with oil from the supermarket when its so much more
convenient to just use the bowser at the service station etc instead when you save **** all like you do currently.

I was talking about if the price was still 50p/litre.

We didnt in fact see too many who use 1000 liters a
year do that at the supermarket when it was that price.

And there must be places where you can buy it in larger quantities (for the commercial use you mentioned for example).

I didnt mention any commercial use.

And all it takes is one person filling his tank with the stuff, to temporarily clear the shelves of one supermarket.

And we didnt in fact see that that happen when it was 50p/liter.

(Someone buying 50 bottles of cooking oil might be a bit suspicious though.)

Dunno, I did see someone with an entire trolley filled with 20KG
sacks of rice one time. I assumed they were one of the local
chinese restaurants buying up in bulk when the price was right.

It really wouldn't take much to generate a shortage.

And we didnt see that happen when the price was 50p/liter.

I cant see enough would bother myself and there
arent all that many diesel cars around either.

And I dont believe that the supermarkets deliberately
tripled the price of cooking oil to avoid that happening either.