Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burglar alarms and home security

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 12:46:30 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

Rebel1 wrote in
:

I had security doors installed. They really don't look that bad, or
they didn't on my old house. Some say they are a hazard because they
can be difficult to escape in case of a fire. It's something to
consider.

http://www.fourseasonssunrooms.com/D.../defender_secu
rity_door.jpg

That way the burglars can't walk right out the front door with your
stuff. They usually go with the path of least resistance. My neighbor
got a little upset when I put mine in but too bad. They don't cost
that much and he can buy his own if he doesn't like it.

I lived in a real high crime area (Abq NM) and after that we never
got burgled again.

What's to keep a burglar from breaking one of the side windows, which
isn't covered by the security door, and simply reach in to undo the
locks from inside? Do you have a double-cylinder deadbolt on the main
door?

make a side window that is not breakable. maybe 1/2" plexiglas or Lexan.
it's kinda dumb to have a window right next to your door anyways.

The idea is to make the neighbor's house look like an easier target than
yours. In any case, the lock is there for the neighbor kids and the insurance
company.