Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Nutless wonder

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
I saw something in an auto repair magazine the other day that really
intrigued me. This was a coil of some sort, (and these come in
different sizes), that you put over a rusted nut. It claims to heat
the nut to cherry red apparently by induction thereby facilitating its
removal. This would replace a torch for instance and would be a lot
safer when working around a plastic gas tank. The machine that these
probes plug into is very expensive but you can buy a set of these
different size probes for under 200.00 Is anyone familiar with this
type of equipment, and do you know if it might be possible to
construct a generic version of the machine that energizes the probes
to heat the nuts? What is actually happening here? Thanks, Lenny

Induction heating has been around a lot longer than modern semiconductor
devices - ideal for case hardening steel shafts.